Wag & Company is the only visiting dog charity to visit older dog lovers in their own homes as well as in care or medical establishments.
Many of the people we visit are bereaved, physically challenged and are no longer able to have a dog of their own. Our volunteers and their special dogs change the way they feel about their lives.
Our volunteers are really at the heart of everything we do and together we are working hard to end loneliness for older dog lovers across our region.
People are waiting and really, just an hour or two most weeks is all it takes to make a huge difference.
To join us, you will need:
- to be over 18 years of age; 16-18 year olds can be assessed and visit alongside a family member who is already a Wag volunteer;
- a dog who is at least 18 months old, who you have had for at least 6 months and who has a good temperament and level of behaviour – see our suitability section;
- to follow our veterinary guidance;
- an hour or two to spare most weeks
- to enjoy making new friends and chatting to people about your dog
- to be dependable and sensitive to the needs of older people
- to pass a Disclosure and Barring Service check at Enhanced level inc the Adult Barred List
- to be happy to complete a very short, easy to complete, visit report online after each visit